How to stop thinking about problems and start thinking about solutions? Or How to overcome the overthinking problem.
Most of the time, when we are facing some type of problem, the first thing that we tend to do is focus on how negative that situation is. For example, let say we are driving to the office and the tire gets a puncture. Now instead of thinking about how to fix it we start thinking on I will be late to the office, the manager will cut my salary, the manager will feel bad and will not promote me, Worst would be that I will get fired from the job.
This is a basic problem for many people. Instead of thinking about how to solve it, they start thinking about what this problem will lead to. We generally overthink a problem. Because of this, we continue to repeat the same patterns, doing the same things that do not really work, until we live in a feeling of negativity.
First thing first, worries, doubts, and anxieties are a natural part of life. It’s common to fret about stuff like an unpaid bill or an upcoming job interview and a first date. But “healthy” worry becomes extreme when it’s tenacious and uncontrollable. You start to worry every day about the “what ifs” and the worst-case situations. It gets so bad that you can’t get these troubling thoughts out of your mind to the point that it conflicts with your daily life.
It is very common among people to overthink, as everyone over-thinks things once in a blue moon, the problem comes when some people just can’t ever appear to stop the endless torrent of thoughts. Their inner talk includes two negative thought designs — ruminating and pessimistic.
Overthinking is one of the freebies that come with negative thoughts. overthinking can prove to be a bigger problem than having negative thoughts. It is scary when your mind is constantly in overdrive but down are some very practical ways to find solutions to your habit of overthinking things.
So what should we do? well, the first thing we all do when adversity appears is don’t focus on the negatives and all of the problems in our lives, we should take some time out to remember that Failure and adversity are only present in our lives to help us, not to hurt us. It’s very essential to never lose sight of this truth.
I have a YouTube Channel also where I post a video on attitude and character and you can subscribe to it through https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYGdbB_F0qii4Zo_rn-rCyg/videos?view_as=subscriber. It will help you to stop thinking about problems and start thinking about solutions.
I have faced this problem in the past and I thought that it would be a good topic to look into in detail.
Down are some steps that will teach you to change your perspective.
How to stop thinking about problems and start thinking about solutions:
- How to stop thinking about problems? – See this as an opportunity for growth: “All the problems are an opportunity to learn and earn.” To switch problems into a benefit and grow through the hard times, you must learn to see this as an opportunity for growth. This will help you to start concentrating on ways to actually fix the situation instead of searching for ways to blame the situation. You will grow from it.
You see all the great leaders are trying to solve some problems. The start of any business is an idea that solves some bigger problems of life. Those who are able to solve that problem build big businesses. All great leaders have taken a problem as an opportunity which they can solve and grow.
- How to stop thinking about problems? – Let go of worries and focus: Despite how serious your problem may be, the solution is there if you work long and hard enough. To find a solution you need to relax your mind and focus. Many times when we think a lot about the problem we get worried and get stressed. We must learn how to remain tension free. This will help you to handle the tension because of the overthinking problem.
- How to stop thinking about problems? – Practice to stop thinking about the problem: Whenever we get any problem we have to tell ourselves to stop thinking of all the problems which will lead to and start thinking about the solution. This is how we develop a positive attitude. You can learn this by reading: how to develop positive thinking. We must stop our thought process in the problem direction for some time and then start thinking in the direction of the solution.
- How to stop thinking about problems? – Think of as many solutions as you can think: Many times we just think of one or two solutions to our problem and stop our thinking process. Instead, we must not evaluate the solution and we must just note down all the possible solutions. Then again not every solution will work for your problem but one will have patience. When you will start to think of more ways to overcome the problems then you will definitely grow from the situation at hand.
- How to stop thinking about problems? – Replace what doesn’t work: After you have studied your problem, write down the various possible solutions. Then go through each of them one by one. Even if it’s overwhelming, don’t give up and keep going. If one way doesn’t work then use another. All that matters is that you always keep trying. To keep trying we must have never die attitude. If you want to develop never die attitude then you can read this article: How to develop never die attitude.
- Use an alternative method in order to achieve the required results: The more ideas and methods you will use, your chances of getting out of the problem will increase. Thinking more about the solution will help to set your mind on more problem-solving mode rather than the opposite one. While you are focusing on the problem then your mind will simply set on the problem. The solution to this dilemma is what everyone needs to know, train your mind. Because no one needs or wants to be reminded of the problem.
- Write down your worries and concerns. If a troubling thought or problem comes into your mind throughout the day, make a short note of it and then proceed about with your day. Tell yourself that you will have time to think about it after a while, so there is no need to fret about it right away. Plus, writing down your thoughts on a pad or even on your phone or computer—is extremely harder to work than just thinking them, so your problems are more likely to misplace their power.
- Study your “worry list” only during a specific period. If the feelings that you wrote down are yet annoying you, then let yourself just worry about them. But don’t go overboard and worry only for a small amount of time. As you consider your worries in this way, you will frequently find that it’s more natural to develop a more stable outlook towards life and situations. But even after all this, your worries don’t seem relevant anymore, all you have to do is simply cut your worry period precisely and then enjoy the rest of your day normally.
- It’s very easy to get transported away with negative thoughts. So before you decide that calling in a fake sick day is going to get you fired or will ruin your health, or even that forgetting about one deadline is going to make you homeless or fail, take time to acknowledge that your thoughts are being amplified to be more negative. Master to recognize and replace these thinking flaws, before they pull you up into complete insanity.
- At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if overthinking will help you. We all know that lodging on your difficulties isn’t helpful anytime, but what helps is looking for solutions and being prepared. You have to ask yourself what actions you can choose to learn from a slip in a way to dodge a future dilemma. Rather than asking yourself why did this happen to me? start to ask yourself what can I do to get myself out of this situation?
- One thing you have to learn is to tell yourself to stop thinking, as this is something that can backfire. The more that you will try to avoid any kind of bad or negative thought from entering your brain, it will just be more likely to keep rising up every second. One way to stop that from happening is by engaging yourself with some kind of activity. It is by far the best way to change or distract yourself, and it will also help you to make those happy chemicals.
Everyone says that exercise is the best way to make your mind healthy, it is because it is true. I know it seems very hard to start doing any kind of physical activity, but once you have fought the laziness to begin, once you start, your mind will thank you. After engaging your body, start with your mind. Make conversation on a totally different subject rather than talking about the bad, make some kind of a project that will divert your mind from the attack of negative ideas.
In the end, If we keep our focus on solutions then we will get more solutions and if we keep our focus on problems we will get more problems. By being aware of this trick and constantly reminding ourselves of the list of solutions you just created, it will help you to focus on solutions and not the problems.
To develop a good attitude in yourself, you can read one famous book by John Maxwell “winning with people” you can buy that book at Winning with people. This book will help you a lot to stop worrying and start doing.
After reading how to stop thinking about problems and start thinking about solutions I am sure you would want to read how to always respond positively: https://sudarshanpurohit.com/how-to-always-respond-positively/
You can connect me through my professional network on LinkedIn also here is the link:https://www.linkedin.com/in/sjpurohit/. We can discuss in detail how to stop thinking about problems.
You can connect me through my Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/purohit.sudarshan/. We can discuss in detail how to stop thinking about problems.
If you have any input on how to stop thinking about problems and start thinking about solutions then you can send me via comment.
If you want to know your natural capabilities which mean what are your strength and weaknesses then you can get you DMIT test done. If you want your DMIT test to be done then you can contact here: https://sudarshanpurohit.com/dmit-test-in-bangalore/