Qualities of Chatrapati Shivaji.
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj is one of the greatest organizers in the history of the world. The man who wielded the Marathas into a mighty nation was also an outstanding military strategist, a skilful diplomat, and an enlightened administrator. He never let his enemies unite against him.
He got his father free from the Sultan of Bijapur on account of his diplomacy. His freedom of the detention of Aurangzeb at Agra speaks volumes of his diplomacy. Shivaji Maharaj was highly praised for his exceptional leadership qualities even by his major enemy like Aurangzeb, who had to admit that “My armies have been employed against him for nineteen years and nevertheless his (Shivaji’s) the state has always been increasing.”In this article, we will talk about Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, the bravest Maratha ever.
Here is the list of qualities of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj:
1. It is Never too Early-To Learn to Lead: Two great individuals who moulded the childhood of Raje through their environment and experience are Jijabai mother of the king and Dadaji Kondev. Early battles that Raje won boosted the morale of his troops. Battle with Afzal Khan the great general of the Mughals passed on a very strong message for his enemies. Action points mentioned by the author for practice is, first develop an honest and fearless mind and take personal initiative for your leadership success.
2. Foresight and Vision, Values, and Ethics: The book by Cyrus M. Gonda and Dr Nitin Parab, very strongly depicts through their writings the true dedication and national spirit Raje had for his motherland. A leader who lived the life of simplicity was even witnessed by the Dutch travelers as quoted by the author. Raje was a great leader who walked the talk and loved his people and motherland.
The authors cite an incident of a campaign being won where Abaji Mahadev gifts Shivaji Raje a beautiful girl. This beautiful girl was blessed by Shivaji Raje and made his sister and respected for. Dadaji Kondev once as cited by the author was tempted to eat the fruit grown on the state property tree; he broke his law and also ensured that he was punished with the same punishment for his act done.
3. Leave a Lasting Legacy for Future Generations to Build on: When his mother Jijabai sowed the seeds for Swarajya in the mind of young Shivaji’s father Shahaji helped him build the foundation of Hindavi Swaraj. His Swaraj was built on the pillars of humanity, values, ethics, management, and leadership, so he would be remembered for all the generations in the future for nation-building exercises undertaken by him and uniting people for the cause of Swarajya. The king has left a legacy of good deeds, hard work, and selflessness is a role model for a good leader in the modern world.
4. Lead with Emotional Quotient- Conquer the Heart: Most of the Maratha people of Shivaji Maharaj’s time were farmers who were not very well educated but were simple and honest. Shivaji Raje Bhosale won their hearts as a leader who believed in humanity and the man who walked the talk. The noble qualities of Shivaji Maharaj were instilled by his mother Jijabai since childhood, by narrating stories from Mahabharata and Ramayana are full of high moral and ethical values. His Guru Smarath Ramdas was also an influencing figure in his life.
5. Build Trust through Effective Communication: Shivaji Maharaj had great oratory skills. He spoke from the heart. His words bore the pain and agony of people. The leader first practised the qualities of honesty, truthfulness, and trust and therefore won the admiration of the Savalas.
6. Develop Administrative Efficiency and a Fearless Knowledgeable, Honest: Shivaji Maharaj was a fearless warrior as well as an honest administrator. He introduced the concept of Ashtapradhan council (a cabinet of 8 ministers in the 16th century), with clearly defined roles. As a grass-root level administrator, Shivaji Raje is thus ranked to the great generals of Alexander, Napoleon, and Hannibal, the authors point out.
7. Merit–Your Key to Recruitment and Promotion: Shivaji Maharaj believed only on merit when he chose people for his service. He ensured the background check and always insisted on integrity. The trustee of the Maratha Swarajya took the main role in selecting the right person for the right job and did not only check on the skill set but also check on the character and loyalty of the person. The author mentions the practice of two kinds of recruitments in the army: one is full-time employees on a salary basis and others were appointed on a project basis.
8. Identify Right Mentors –Open Doors to Great Leadership: The seeds for developing this able leader were sown by his mother. The foundation for building the vision of Swaraj was invoked through the stories and the morals from the great epic of Mahabharata and Ramayana.
Secondly, the trusted Sardar Dadaji Kondev who was Raje’s coach guided him to make decisions that helped him win several battles. The author talks about how a person could help himself becoming a good leader talks about how one should be alert in picking up his or her mentors. His life teaches an important lesson to the modern rulers: Why should a leader invest time in the people to groom the right persons once the quality of leadership is found in them.
9. Keep Noble Purpose of Organisation First: The country and its peoples’ interest always topped the priority list of Shivaji Raje Bhosale. He just played the role of a caretaker for his organization first and then other objectives.
10. Open Mind and Open Eye – Adopt New and Beneficial Trends and Technologies: Maharaj always stressed on innovation and new technology. He studied this and equipped his soldiers with new weaponry. He also foresaw the importance of the navy and built a powerful command over the Arabian sea.
Apart from these qualities, Shivaji had a number of other things he was renowned for:
A great organizer – Shivaji was a great organizer who successfully united the Marathas against Mughal persecution.
An effective general and military strategist – Shivaji successfully faced the onslaught of the Sultan of Bijapur and Aurangzeb from the north. He made his army learn the art of guerilla warfare and so they always stayed one step ahead.
A good diplomat – The way Shivaji got his father out of the Sultan of Biijapur’s clutches speaks volumes of how good of a diplomat he is.
Respect for other faiths – Shivaji always made sure that no religious monuments, faiths or sentiments were hurt during his time as the Maharaja of the Maratha empire.
An obedient son – Shivaji was a fiercely obedient son to his mother. He always followed her advice to the dot.
Regenerator of Hindus – Shivaji is known to bring about a wave Hindu nationalism in India. He united the Hindus against Mughal persecution and successfully established an empire.
The qualities Chatrapati Shivaji had and portrayed is relevant to this day. Everyone should look into how he lived his life and take inspiration from him.
Here’s how you can learn how to set high standards for yourself just like the great Maratha ruler, Chatrapati Shivaji.
You can visit my Facebook page where you can find all my videos and I update it regularly:https://www.facebook.com/betterworldsjp/videos/?ref=page_internal
You can also connect to me through my professional network on Linkedinhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/sjpurohit/
You can connect to me through my Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/purohit.sudarshan/
If you want to know about your strengths and weaknesses then you can get your DMIT test done. If you want your DMIT test to be done then you can contact here: https://sudarshanpurohit.com/dmit-test-in-bangalore/