Why and how we should respect our elders?
So many cultures in the world are built around respecting elders. In China, Confucian law encourages respect for families and it’s older members. Japan and Korea also respectfully celebrate their older members. Latin cultures also have a similar tradition of respecting their elders. In India as well, the elders are given special respect. However, the westernization of the world has confused the younger generation on how to treat their elders. Treating our elders respectfully should be the foundation on which future societies should be built.
Here are a few reasons why we should respect our elders –
They have lived longer than us – We should always be respectful to elders as they have lived, seen, and experienced the world longer than us.
They know more than you think – Whatever situation we are going through, our elders have been there and done it. So we have to be more respectful of the fact that they might know more than we think they know.
They have experienced things differently – Nowadays, we can only wish to live and grow like our elders. They come from a simpler time, and this is why we must respect them.
They see the world differently – Our elders have seen way more of life when compared to us. This gives them a unique perspective on how and what life is. We need to be respectful of them because they can see the world differently.
They have already walked in your shoes – We must understand that our elders have already tread the path we are traveling. So when they ask us to do something, it is for our benefit. We must give them respect because they have already seen and experienced what we are feeling and experiencing.
Experience – They have experienced way more of life than us. Being disrespectful to someone who has experienced that much of life will reflect upon us negatively.
We can learn – The elders will have countless stories from which we can gain wisdom. If a person always listens to their elders, the chances are that the person will be more successful than the ones who don’t.
They are learning from us – When a person of old age approaches us with doubt about technology, we should never laugh or ridicule them. Instead, we must help them as they would have helped us through whatever we are going through in life.
Family – They are after all our family, and respecting members of the family is instrumental to have a peaceful life with them.
They may be tired – We should always consider the fact that old people are weary and tired. If we are in a position to help them, in however way we can, we must help them. We should always respect the fact that they have walked more miles than us.
Here’s what you need to do to be a good friend to someone.
Knowing how to respect your elders is one of the biggest dilemmas this generation faces. Here are a few ways you can show your respect for your elders –
1. Please and thank you: Saying please and thank you is one of the most basic forms of respect you can give to anybody. Saying ‘please’ and ‘thank you’ to your elders will reinforce how much you respect them, and they will be happier for it.
2. Use titles, politely: Using titles like ‘Mr’ or ‘Mrs’ politely will show your elders how highly you think of them and will show them that you respect them.
3. Use welcoming skills: Using welcoming skills when an elderly person walks in one way of showing them how much you love and respect them. The appropriate welcome should be used during appropriate times.
4. Interrupt appropriately: Never interrupt your elders. It is very disrespectful when you interrupt anyone. Take permission before you interrupt your elders. Even if you do interrupt them, make sure there is a good reason behind why you did so.
5. Inappropriate language: Never use inappropriate language in front of elders. Using inappropriate language in front of them shows that you don’t respect them. Always apologize to your elders if you even by chance use inappropriate language in front of them.
6. Help your elders: Helping your elders do their daily chores is one way to show them respect. Elders in the family are old and weary. This means that they don’t have the energy levels they once had. Helping them to lift a heavy bag or buying something from the market, will show them how much you love and respect them.
7. Be reliable: Always try to be reliable when you attempt a task. Whenever you are doing something, make sure you complete it, especially if it was given to you by your elders. If you maintain your reliability, they will give you more important tasks, which shows that they trust and respect you.
8. Ask questions: An elderly person has seen so much in life. Asking questions encourages them to talk to us about their lives. When we show an interest in their lives, it shows that you love and respect the person. An elderly person is also one of the best people you can ask questions to, as they have seen so much of this world, and what they say might actually help you.
9. Speak the truth: Always speak the truth, when you are talking to your elders. Lying to your elders is a sign of disrespect. Every time you lie to your elders, they will lose faith in you and will never believe you after a point. That is why it is important to always tell the truth to your elders. However hard the truth may be, your elders have already been in your shoes and will understand you and may even help you in difficult times.
10. Remembering conversations: Remembering conversations you have had with your elders is immense respect you can pay to them. An elderly person tells you a lot, and when you show them that you remembered what they said, they will feel respected and very happy about it.
11. Shouting: Never shout at your elders. There is no greater disrespect you can show to an elderly person. Shouting at your elders also shows how immature and inconsiderate you can be. Always be polite and talk humbly with your elders. This will show them that you love and respect them.
12. Be kind: Always be kind to your elders. They have seen more of life than you and so know more than you. It is important that you are kind to your elders and that you help them out in any way you can. This will show them the love and respect you have for them.
Now that we know why and how to respect our elders, we should put it into practice in our lives and strive hard to follow it. Doing this will only benefit us with the love and wisdom of our elders.
You can visit my Facebook page where you can find all my videos and I update them regularly:https://www.facebook.com/betterworldsjp/videos/?ref=page_internal
You can also connect to me through my professional network on Linkedinhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/sjpurohit/
You can connect to me through my Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/purohit.sudarshan/
If you want to know about your strengths and weaknesses then you can get your DMIT test done. If you want your DMIT test to be done then you can contact here: https://sudarshanpurohit.com/dmit-test-in-bangalore/